Friday 29 March 2013

Another sobbing-in-public song for Good Friday

This sobbing-in-public story happened at church. It was a Confirmation Sunday, when young people become adult members of the church.

A young woman sang this song and I cried, and gasped and sobbed. It was so beautiful, that even thinking about it makes my eyes fill with tears.

Mary Did You Know is often sung at Christmas time, but I think Easter is more appropriate. And, it was very appropriate at that ceremony that celebrates the beginning of adulthood, the end of childhood.

On that Sunday, I knew all of the Confirmands. I had taught them Sunday School. I cried because they looked so grown-up in their special clothes and in their special roles on their celebration day. Who knows what they will be, what wonderful things they will do?

Of course, I cried for my babies. When I kissed their baby faces, I was kissing the face of God. When I see their beautiful almost-grown-up faces, I still see God. Who knows what they will be, what wonderful things they will do?

No comments:

Post a Comment